Re: Java mode indention

From: J Richardson
Subject: Re: Java mode indention
Date: 06 Aug 2003 16:05:54 -0400

J Richardson <jrivers77@yahoo.com> writes:

>   arglist-intro:
>   a_method(another_method(
>                foo, bar));
>

>   arglist-cont-nonempty:
>   a_method(another_method(foo,
>                bar));
>
> > Also, which version of CC Mode are you using?  (Do M-x c-version).
>
> CC Mode version 5.28
>

> > > when I'd prefer this:
> >
> > >   a_method(another_method(foo,
> > >       bar));
> >
> > >   ^ I want it to add it from here
> >
> > In the most recent CC Mode (5.30) it looks like the "bar" would get
> > indented 8 columns from begining-of-line (4 columns (c-basic-offset) for
> > each level of parentheses).  This isn't very good either.  It may well be
> > that the best quick fix would be to write you a special indentation
> > function (see the page "Indentation Functions" in the CC Mode manual).
>
> I'll check out 5.30. Indenting from the beginning of the line is the
> issue I wasn't sure how to work around.
>
> I looked at indentation functions a while ago. Rechecking now, they
> take a syntactic component cons cell which contains the "buffer
> relative position" and return the offset to add to that position. I'm
> by no means an elisp guru, so I may be missing something, but since
> it's the buffer relative position that I don't like I'm not sure how
> to get that to work. It sounds like CC Mode 5.30 may help there
> though.
>

> > The most helpful place to report this sort of problem is on the CC Mode
> > mailing list at bug-cc-mode@gnu.org.

Ooh, I have it now. Archives from bug-cc-mode@gnu.org helped. I didn't
know about the back-to-indentation function.

(defun jc-indent-method-args (langelem)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (cdr langelem))
    (back-to-indentation)
    (vector (+ (current-column) c-basic-offset))))

(c-set-offset 'arglist-intro 'jc-indent-method-args)
(c-set-offset 'arglist-cont 'jc-indent-method-args)
(c-set-offset 'arglist-cont-nonempty 'jc-indent-method-args)

It seems to work so far.

Thanks!