Re: preview-latex: preview normal text?

From: Joerg Schuster
Subject: Re: preview-latex: preview normal text?
Date: 05 Sep 2003 16:09:54 +0200

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> You are aware that \em\bf is exactly equivalent to \bf, that both as
> well as \sc are quite obsolete and have been for about 7 years?

The example was quite artificial. Yet, I *do* use \bf, \em and \sc.
Why are they obsolete and what should one use instead?
(\emph and \textbf?) I learned Latex from a 1996 book. They didn't say
anything about these commands' obsoleteness.

> preview-latex has no problems with formulas occuring in normal text.

Then it seems that I have misunderstood some passage of the manual
(that I cannot find now).

> > I also wonder why section headers are previewed while chapter headers
> > are not.
>
> Probably because you are using some package that replaces chapter
> headers by something not using \@startsection.
>
> > Can I change this in some way?
>
> Well, certainly.  But unless you tell us just what you are doing,

I am writing a document of the type [german]{book}. I would like
to preview all headers. I will attach my preamble to this mail.

Thanks for your answers so far and sorry for all this text.
I dont know how to state the problem clearly with less text.

Jörg

%&latex

\documentclass[german]{book}

\makeindex

%\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}                   % um pdf einzubinden
%\usepackage[usenames,dvipsnames]{color}         % keine Ahnung, warum man das
braucht
%\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref}                   % um Hyperlinks in der
pdf-Datei zu erzeugen
\usepackage{a4wide}                              % Text breiter
\usepackage{tipa}                                % phonetische Zeichen
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{url}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage[noeepic]{qtree}
\usepackage{eurosym}
\usepackage{stmaryrd}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{babel}
\usepackage{lscape}
\usepackage{theorem}
\usepackage{array}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\usepackage{rotating}
\usepackage{multirow}
\renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\alph{enumi})}
\renewcommand{\labelenumii}{\arabic{enumii}.}
\newcommand{\uuu}[1]{\underline{#1}}\theorembodyfont{\upshape}
\newcommand{\fig}{\input}
\newtheorem{Definition}{Definition}
\newtheorem{Anmerkung}{Anmerkung}
\newtheorem{Anmerkungen}[Anmerkung]{Anmerkungen}
\newtheorem{Axiom}{Axiom}
\newtheorem{Beispiel}{Beispiel}
\newtheorem{Beispiele}[Beispiel]{Beispiele}
\newtheorem{Aufgabe}{Aufgabe}
\newtheorem{Aufgaben}[Aufgabe]{Aufgaben}
\newtheorem{Personenbeschreibung}{Personenbeschreibung}
\newtheorem{Problem}{Problem}
\newtheorem{Notationskonvention}{Notationskonvention}
\newtheorem{Prinzip}{Prinzip}
\newtheorem{Lemma}{Lemma}
\usepackage[displaymath,textmath,sections,graphics,floats]{preview}
\PreviewEnvironment{enumerate}
\PreviewEnvironment{tabular}
\PreviewEnvironment{Text}
\PreviewEnvironment{Definition}
\PreviewEnvironment{Anmerkung}
\PreviewEnvironment{Anmerkungen}
\PreviewEnvironment{Beispiel}
\PreviewEnvironment{Beispiele}
\PreviewEnvironment{Personenbeschreibung}
\PreviewEnvironment{Aufgabe}
\begin{document}