letting super user read .emacs

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: letting super user read .emacs
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:09:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hello

Recently our unix system was changed such that all regular users are their
own groups also.  So user johndoe would be in group johndoe and
permissions on johndoe's home directory are drwxrwx---.  This was done for
security reasons.

My question is, is there any way the emacs will read in a .emacs that is
not located in one's home directory?

My problem is that when I use the su command to become another user, I am
forced to use the other user's .emacs instead of my own.  So I was
thinking about putting my .emacs in a directory that is readable to all
users.

Thanks for any suggestions!