emacs vs vs.net

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: emacs vs vs.net
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:56:36 +0100

WS> hi,
WS> i'm very new to email and the system i'm using most of the time is win32.
WS> could someone give me some example why emacs is so powerful?

I think I'll write a speech sooner or later about this.

You use Win32, true ?

Each time  you have to  work on a  different type of source  (or text)
Windows  people tends  to use  a different  tool. Each  tool  does one
thing.  Each  tool has its own  interface (CUA -common  user access, a
standard for user interfaces - can do little, even between MS Visual C
ide  and MS  Visual Basic  ide differences  are heavy).  All  the tool
ignore the others.

And finally, even if you have some hook to extend the tool the process
is anything but easy.

CUA  itself offers  a  quite minimal  set  of operation.  Move of  one
character, word or line. Copy a region or paste.

Emacs  has a  much  richer set  of  commands.  Cut&Paste  is not  more
difficult  than with  CUA  interface  even if  the  keystrokes can  be
different.

And  you have  paragraph  oriented moving  and  selecting (for  text),
function oriented moving and selecting (for programs)

But while  Emacs can get CUA  compliant (even if CUA  standard is much
younger than  Emacs) while a CUA  editor can't get  more commands than
those shipped within.

Emacs  power comes  from being  a programmable  editor. Each  time you
press a key there's a function invoked under the hood.

Therefore, for  each new kind of  source there'll be some  new code (a
mode) that  will deal with  that source with  indentation, highligting
and even more: java oriented JDEE can do such things like creating the
skeletons of  the functions to  implement an interface, or  insert the
import statement for a certain class whose name is under the cursor.

And another thing.

Emacs is  large and Emacs  become the editor  of choice even  for such
things  like writing usenet  posts and  e-mail messages,  it's editing
command  are very  powerful (you  can transpose  two character  or two
words  with a  simple  keystroke). But  it  goes a  litte further.  It
_reads_ usenet and  e-mail, so that you have not  to use two different
programs.

Emacs reads  and writes files on  remote machines using  either ftp or
ssh.

Emacs can be a www browser. One of the few friendly with blind people.

Tell the same for Internet  Exploder that sometimes is unfriendly with
the most skilled user :)

  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/