Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse

From: Micah Cowan
Subject: Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse
Date: 30 Oct 2003 11:44:51 -0800

Kevin Dziulko <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> writes:

> Hello
>
> I have a Microsoft IntelliMouse with a scroll wheel in the middle.  I am
> using GNU Emacs 21.2.1 on MS Windows 2000.
>
> I have (global-unset-key [mouse-2]) in my .emacs so that wheel does only
> scrolling and nothing else. (Otherwise it would paste when clicked)

Personally, I leave it set and just scroll the weel if I want to
scroll, and click it if I want to paste.

> I am not familiar with X windows methods and operations. So, how do I cut,
> copy, and paste using the mouse?  Do I have to configure scroll mouse in a
> certain way?  Does it matter that I have pc-selection-mode turned on?

Well, the mouse-based copy/paste is standard for X, but the other
techniques are pretty much unique to Emacs.

You obviously should still be able to place a region of text in
the kill-buffer simply by selecting it with the mouse. You can do
this either by clicking-and-dragging mouse-1, or you can click
with mouse-1, and then click at the end of the region to be
copied with mouse-2. Without using the mouse, you can also use
C-SPC to set the "mark" to the current "point" (where the text
cursor is), and then once you have "point" where you want it, you
can use C-w to "cut" (in Emacs it's "kill") the region, or if you
only want to "copy" it, use M-w. Pasting can be done without the
mouse with C-y, which inserts the last-killed thing at point.
There are other very interesting things about how the kill-ring
works: I'm pretty sure they're covered in the Emacs Tutorial
(type "C-h t").

HTH.

--
Micah J. Cowan