Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: What the next machine will be like after iMac.
Date: 11 Nov 2003 07:32:48 +0100

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:
> Dan Anderson wrote:
> > > The next machines will be Lisp machines with Emacs operating
> > > system running on them.
> > I've been using Emacs as an OS for years and never once looked
> > back.  [...]  Plus I can customize just about anything I want in
> > LISP. All hail the one true editor!
> So the whole FSF movement and all its GNU tools are created just to
> make the Emacs OS? Interesting direction of thought!

At least Lisp had a prominent role in the original announcement of the
GNU project:

    ... we plan to have longer filenames, file version numbers, a
    crashproof file system, filename completion perhaps, terminal-
    independent display support, and eventually a Lisp-based window
    system through which several Lisp programs and ordinary Unix
    programs can share a screen.  Both C and Lisp will be available as
    system programming languages.

--
Lars Brinkhoff,         Services for Unix, Linux, GCC, HTTP
Brinkhoff Consulting    http://www.brinkhoff.se/