Re: Backspace-like behavior

From: David Rasmussen
Subject: Re: Backspace-like behavior
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:15:05 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

From: David Rasmussen <david.rasmussen@gmx.net>
Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:01:32 +0100

But both the Windows version of emacs that I am using, and the version on a Debian box I am connecting to, treats C-d and Del the same way. How do I do a normal Backspace, that deletes the character to the left of the cursor?

You press Backspace.

So why doesn't backspace work on the linux box, and also, why did the tutorial say that emacs doesn't use backspace?

Backspace works on the windows version, but not on the Debian
version that I use via ssh.

That's something you should figure out with your terminal emulator,
the one you use top log in to the Debian box: configure it so that
when you press Backspace, it sends the DEL character (ASCII decimal
code 127).

OK.

/David