Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Cool and Useful LISP for the .emacs file
Date: 23 Nov 2003 19:08:20 +1100

 Artur> Kin Cho <kin@techie.com> writes:
 >> I used to carry around a collection of shell, sed, awk, and perl
 >> scripts to do various text/file/directory processing, as well as
 >> doing cvs/rcs stuff, running compilation and gdb etc...  Now I do
 >> (almost) all these things in elisp.

 Artur> I like this idea! I would like to use elisp as scripting
 Artur> language also. However I would like to know if it is possible
 Artur> to use it that way. I mean, lets assume I create elisp script
 Artur> to update my Linux box system with new releases of some
 Artur> packages.

 Artur> Is it possible to run it from command line like all other
 Artur> scripts, bash, perl etc.?

 Artur> I mean file script starting from: #!/usr/bin/emacs

 Artur> Or any other elisp interpreter?

 Artur> Artur -- Artur Hefczyc, Open Source Developer:
 Artur> http://www.geotools.org/ http://generguide.sourceforge.net/
 Artur> http://wttools.sourceforge.net/
 Artur> http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/

For this sort of thing, I'd be tempted to just use lisp, not emacs
lisp. There are numerous lisp implementations which will allow you to
do this sort of thing.

The thing about elisp is that its got lots of things which are useful
when dealing with text, buffers, displays characters etc. However, its
not as good as a general lisp if you want ot do more general stuff.

Tim

--
Tim Cross