Re: Mode for Manuscripts?

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Mode for Manuscripts?
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:57:38 -0500 (EST)

In hopes that a better understanding of this might move things forward a
little, I've posted a bit more on manuscript-mode to
<http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WiKen>.

At 12:15 (UTC-0500) on Sun, 30 Nov 2003 gebser@speakeasy.net said:

= At 09:14 (UTC+0200) on 30 Nov 2003 Eli Zaretskii said:
=
= = > From: gebser@speakeasy.net
= = > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
= = > Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:11:10 -0500
= = >
= = > ...
= =
= = Does it take anything beyond binding RET to a function that inserts a
= = newline and then calls newline-and-indent?
= =
= = ...
=
= Yes, I think it would.  Here's (most of) the original posting of the
= question again (and how the text should look in emacs):
=
= ...
=
=      Here are the specifications explicitly stated: Text must be
=
= double-spaced. Owing to the need for margins, text should wrap. There
=
= should be one space, not two, between sentences. Automatic tabs to
=
= indicate breaks between paragraphs. I think by this they mean a ^I
=
= character must begin a paragraph. Use regular double spaces between
=
= paragraphs (as you see here at the beginning and end of paragraphs. Use
=
= only one space, not two spaces, between sentences.
=
=      So does such a mode already exist for emacs? Of course I'd want C-n
=
= and C-p to move the cursor to a text line and not to a blank line in
=
= between text lines. I know that "pr -d" will do the double-spacing for
=
= me after I write up the whole thing, but it would be nicer for emacs to
=
= do the double-spacing for me as I go along. The M-a and M-e keys should
=
= get me to the beginning and end of sentences and M-q should reformat
=
= stuff I screw up by editing.
=
=      Finally, it would be best to have a separate (minor?) mode for this
=
= sort of format-- this, so I wouldn't have to set and unset a lot of
=
= variables every time I go in and out of editing in this mode.
=
= ...
=
= I found paragraph-indent-text-mode, copied it into .emacs, and modified
= it so:
=
= (defun paragraph-indent-text-mode ()
=   "Major mode for editing text, with leading spaces starting a
= paragraph.
= In this mode, you do not need blank lines between paragraphs
= when the first line of the following paragraph starts with whitespace.
= Special commands:
= \\{text-mode-map}
= Turning on Paragraph-Indent Text mode runs the normal hooks
= `text-mode-hook' and `paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook'."
=   (interactive)
=   (kill-all-local-variables)
=   (use-local-map text-mode-map)
=   (setq mode-name "Parindent")
=   (setq major-mode 'paragraph-indent-text-mode)
=   (setq local-abbrev-table text-mode-abbrev-table)
=   (setq sentence-end "[.?!][]\"')]*\\($\\|\t\\| \\)[ \t\n]*")
=   (setq sentence-end-double-space' nil)
=   (setq paragraph-start "\t.+$")
=   (setq paragraph-separate "\n\n\t")
=   (set-syntax-table text-mode-syntax-table)
=   (run-hooks 'text-mode-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook))
=
= However, M-a and M-e will go to locations which aren't really the
= begin/end of sentences, where the word following punctuation isn't
= capitalized such as "foo, etc.) bar" where "bar" isn't the begin of a
= new sentence.  Can't we specify that the begin of a sentence should be
= an uppercase character?  How?  (Regexps baffle me sometimes.)
=
= Also my defs for paragraph-start and paragraph-separate don't work;
= ESC-{ and ESC-} move the cursor to the begin and end of the file
= respectively.  I'm guessing this is the reason that M-q turns a lot of
= (tab-indented) paragraphs into one, big paragraph.  The Info on these
= variables demands too much of my pre-mavenistic understanding.
=
= To reply to Eli's question specifically, given that I'm looking for
= double-line spacing ("blank" lines in between text lines), I don't think
= it would be enough to remap RET to RET RET TAB because this would insert
= blank lines only between paragraphs, not between every line of text.
= Can emacs even do double-line spacing at all?
=
=
= Anyone know how to get at this mode?
=