cygwin browse-url bug

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: cygwin browse-url bug
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:24:19 GMT

I'm not sure where to report this bug.
cygwin-apps?
emacs?
author of browse-url?
all of the above?

Here's the problem:
On most systems, I can run emacs -q and eval the lines below,
and the browser will show the google usenet archives just fine.

With Emacs on Cygwin, no matter whether I use console or X Window, Firebird does launch, but it does not load the URI as an argument.
Instead, the homepage comes up.
Is the problem that I am launching a native Windows app from Cygwin?
Also, is there a way to tell Cygwin to launch the _default_ w32 browser? This likely requires a registry key lookup.

I heard that the new Thunderbird 0.4 now launches the 'default' Linux browser. How does one find such a default on Linux-like systems?

-- code follows --
(require 'browse-url)
(defconst browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-netscape)
;;Assume the correct path to Firebird; it does launch
(defconst browse-url-netscape-program
 "c:/Program Files/MozillaFirebird/MozillaFirebird.exe")
(browse-url "http://groups.google.com/";)