Re: German keyboard key bindings?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: German keyboard key bindings?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:10:52 +0000

ulrich@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Ulrich Neumerkel) writes:

> Yes, this is definitely better than what I had before,
> but it is not what my post was about.
> If latin-1 would be everything, then this would be perfect.
>
> If I understand the situation correctly you need for any encoding
> you care a separate file to define the appropriate bindings.
> Right? The point would be to be able to refer to different
> encodings in the same file.

I wonder if it would work to use emacs-mule as the encoding.  With
emacs-mule, you could say:

; -*- coding: emacs-mule; -*-
(global-set-key (kbd "ä") 'foo)         ; latin-1 char
(global-set-key (kbd "ä") 'bar)         ; latin-2 char

Here, the two ä characters are intended to be different characters, as
indicated in the comment.  That might do something useful.

Kai