Re: frames and reading of .emacs?

From: Jan Even Nilsen
Subject: Re: frames and reading of .emacs?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 09:41:23 +0100

Greg Fenton wrote:
Jan Even Nilsen wrote:
I have now stripped down the .emacs, and I am still puzzled, so I hope someone can give me a hint as to what my new emacs is doing. I know that an existing default.el would be read last, but there is no such file on my system, as far as I can see.

What about ~/.Xresources ?

No such file on my system, but I'll look into the system's Xresources files.

Can you post your "stripped down" .emacs ?

It's contents is only the text posted between the --- lines, that's how stripped it is, to make sure this strange behaviour is not my own doing.

Xresources:
The system Xresources file(s all) contain the line
emacs.geometry: 80x25
This is the size the frame gets initially.
Then, when .emacs is read, the line
(setq initial-frame-alist '((top . -00) (left . 300) (width . 89) (height . 51)))
makes the frame move, but does not manage to resize it.

I do not understand? Is it wrong syntax for setq of height and width (works for default-frame-alist though)?

A Q&D way, since new-frames are like I want them, is to set
(delete-frame)
(new-frame)
in the end of .emacs

BTW: The inclusion of the emacs related entry into a ~/.Xresources and edit of these, did not help.

2) The changing of the face for the marked region is somewhat of a puzzle, but I can live with it. It nags me that some function overrides my settings, though.

Even