Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke

From: Joakim Hove
Subject: Re: Executing the command bound to a key-stroke
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:56:11 +0100

Arjan Bos <Arjan.Bos@nospam.ISeeYou.nl> writes:

> What I would like is to execute the command bound to \C-j
> directly. I've tried several things, but they all failed me, hence
> this kludge.

M-x apropos bind <return>:

   (key-binding KEY &optional ACCEPT-DEFAULT NO-REMAP)

   Return the binding for command KEY in current keymaps.
   KEY is a string or vector, a sequence of keystrokes.
   The binding is probably a symbol with a function definition.

   [....]

i.e M-x apropos is a *really good* friend!

I.e. I guess something like

  (funcall (key-binding "\C-j"))

should do the trick.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /