Re: A question about Eshell

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: A question about Eshell
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 09:30:02 +0100

"Tassilo Horn" <heimdall*REMOVETHIS*@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> I really like using Eshell when having a console session but I have one
> problem. When I su to root I don't have highlighting of
> filetypes/directories and I don't have autocompletion, too. TAB makes
> real TABS instead.
> What can I do to have this features after suing?

Eshell does not run a real shell.  Instead, it interprets each command
as you type it.  Now, if you type su, then eshell will start a su
process and send subsequent input to it.  It will not interpret the
I/O itself.

That's why su and normal usage are different.

You could try to use Tramp to access files as root.  In that case,
instead of su'ing to root, do "cd /root@localhost:/some/directory".
After this, find-file should edit files as root, and so on.

Alas, Tramp is not quite up to snuff regarding running commands.  That
is, if you run a command then the command might not be run as root,
causing it to have too little permission.  It's been this way for
quite a while, and it would be great to fix it, but I haven't had the
energy to do that.  (In fact, I don't even know exactly in what way it
is broken.)  Anyone?

Kai