Re: can't global-set-key in emacs -nw

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: can't global-set-key in emacs -nw
Date: 01 Feb 2004 08:33:38 +0200

> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> From: Joel Smith <joelvsmith@earthlink.net>
> Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 00:27:42 GMT
>
> using xterm or aterm i can't set any keys using the shift key.  for
> example
>
> (global-set-key [(shift right)] "\C-e")
>
> won't do anything in aterm.  in xterm it inserts 2C.
>
> resetting the home, end keys doesn't work, and backspace starts help
> in aterm.  it's fine in xterm.

You need to set up your keyboard configuration (sorry, I don't know
how exactly).  Using "C-h l", you will see that Emacs doesn't get any
useful key codes when you press the problematic keys.

> finally the mouse doesn't work.

You mean, it doesn't work in Emacs?  If so, you will have to set up
xt-mouse.el, I think.  Basically, Emacs doesn't support the mouse on a
text terminal without some package such as xt-mouse.