Re: compilation-error-regexp-alist syntax problems

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: compilation-error-regexp-alist syntax problems
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:50:21 GMT

> I don't understand why it's better to evaluate the FORM immediately
> after (provide FEATURE) or how that solves Roy's problem of augmenting a
> list-valued variable defvar'ed in the FILE.  The advantage of late

Assuming the `provide' is where the coding convention says it should be,
then evaluating FORM right after it means that it's evaluated when the file
has already been fully processed, just as Roy needs it.
And since it relies on the feature name rather than ht efile name, it does
not matter how you decided to load the file.

> I thought it would result in those `defvar's being copied into
> loaddefs.el, which would be dumped into the emacs executable, so they
> could be safely referenced before the "compile" library was actually
> loaded.  What am I misunderstanding?

Look at his add-hook code: it intuitively should work.  Yet, even with your
suggestion it won't work.  Your suggestion allows setting
compilation-error-regexp-alist directly, but it is of no use when the var
is set from the compilation-mode-hook.

        Stefan