Re: global-set-key not global?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: global-set-key not global?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:35:46 GMT

> im using the following in my .emacs:
> (global-set-key "\C-j"  'bs-cycle-next)
> (global-set-key "\M-j"  'bs-cycle-previous)

> but a number of major modes still seem to have C-j bound to insert-newline.
> it works fine if i use local-set-key inside the add-hook for every mode, but
> seems like i shouldnt have to do this.

Indeed.  Report those things as bugs.

> also, how can i use the semicolon in a keybinding. obviously, the following
> doesnt work:

> (global-set-key "\C-;"  'indent-for-comment)

Indeed, because C-; is not a character (contrary to C-a and a few other
such special cases) so you can't put it in a string.
Instead use the form [(control ?\;)].

> how can i escape the ";" character so that it doesnt look like a comment
> to elisp?

In your code above it should work just fine since it's inside a string.
When it's not inside a string use \ as I did above.

        Stefan