Re: File truncated at ^Z character in windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File truncated at ^Z character in windows
Date: 18 Feb 2004 12:51:50 +0200

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:26:06 +0200
> From: "Ehud Karni" <ehud@unix.mvs.co.il>
> >
> > So it sounds like samba did this.
>
> I don't think it is a samba problem. We employ a samba (on GNU/Linux)
> with a share of over 50GB and about 200 M$Windows users. It is working
> over 3 years and no one reported any such problem.

I find it hard to believe, as you do, but given the information
presented in this thread, that was the only conclusion I could draw.
Perhaps we were not told all the facts.

> The only way it can happen is if the copy was a TEXT copy (i.e. not
> binary).  The M$Windows `copy' has switches that control its mode:
>   /A           Indicates an ASCII text file.
>   /B           Indicates a binary file.

True, but the default on modern versions of Windows is binary.

> > Anyway, the advice to move the files in an archive, like a tar.gz
> > file, is still valid, I think.
>
> I think that is because the M$Windows `copy' select the mode (text/
> binary) according to the file extension if not specified explicitly.

I just tried COPY without any switches with both a .pdf file and a
.txt file, and got binary copies in both cases.  That was on Windows
XP with cmd.exe as the shell (this is important since COPY is a
built-in shell command, so it could behave differently in different
shells).