Re: How can I determine what the default font it?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: How can I determine what the default font it?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:23:49 +0100

floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:

> jasonr (Jason Rumney) @  f2s.com wrote:
>>floyd@barrow.com (Floyd L. Davidson) writes:
>>
>>Then set your dpi correctly, so X can compensate. Since 21.1, Emacs
>>default fonts are specified in point sizes rather than pixel sizes.
>
> Can you be less cryptic?

Different monitors/displays show a pixel in different sizes.  Pixel
size is usually measured in pixels per inch, or dots per inch, aka
DPI.

The X server has a configuration option (in /etc/X11/XF86Config, I
believe) where you can tell it about the dpi of your monitor/display.

Emacs used to specify font sizes in pixel, so regardless of what dpi
you specified in X11, the standard font was N pixels tall.

But now, Emacs specifies font sizes in point (1/72th of an inch), so
the number of pixels of the default font size depends on the dpi
setting.  Let's say you specify a 12pt font, then that's 1/6 inches.
If you have 6 dpi, then Emacs will choose 1 pixel to display it.  If
you have 60 dpi, then Emacs will choose 10 pixels to display it.

This method works for many applications.

Kai