Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package

From: Jussi Piitulainen
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X - configuration package
Date: 01 Mar 2004 14:17:33 +0200

Piet van Oostrum writes:

> videoxfer wrote:
>
>> In the carbon build it's either alt or meta, depending on the value
>> of the variable mac-command-key-is-meta.  Every carbon emacs user I
>> know sets this variable to nil,
>
> Well, I don't. The main reason is that I would loose the
> Alt-keyboard function which gives me acces to non-ASCII characters,
> like the Euro sign and accented characters. Yes, I know Emacs has
> other ways to access these, but I find them handy as they are the
> same as in other applications. If you are English-speaking then
> these are less important. Maybe that's the reason the British don't
> want the Euro :=)

I went to a lot of trouble to have Alt as Meta and still get the most
important Alt-characters. These are all in ASCII: @${[\|]}. I have
Finnish keyboards, so there are keys for the letters I need for my own
language, and accent keys give most of the rest, though not all.

Now I type | as Alt-7 and \ as Shift-Alt-7 and so on, but Alt-c is M-c
and Alt-q is M-q, and Command-q does no harm. Works well. The biggest
loss is M-\, because I would have to type that as Shift-Alt-7, which
gives the character \.