Re: grep can help?

From: FCC
Subject: Re: grep can help?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:59:22 +0200

FCC wrote:

Hello all,

Here is what I am trying to do: I have fortran90 source files full of comments everywhere. A comment starts with ! and continues until the end of line, and it can start in the middle of a line after some code that gets compiled.

Initially I was trying to use isearch for a regexp but only to search for those occurences which are not in comments (or which do not appear after the character !). After spending some time with Google, it turned out that this is not possible because one cannot "invert a match", which is what is required here.

OK, I think I solved my problem: replace-regexp "!.*" " " and all the comments are gone, and the line numbers are unchanged. Now, the resulting file can be saved under a different file name, or the buffer could be renamed and the intended regexp search can be performed, either with occur or isearch-regexp.

Thanks all anyway.

Best,

FCC.

PS. If there is a better solution, I would like to hear it.