Troubles with Umlauts

From: Tobias Radloff
Subject: Troubles with Umlauts
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 10:29:07 +0200

Hi there,

I am having trouble using German Umlauts ('ä', 'ö', 'ü', 'ß' - I wonder if you see these characters correctly now) with Emacs 20.7. I installed Deli Linux (a Slackware derivate) on an old notebook, together with the emacs_nox package from slackware 7.1 (there is no X on the machine). Umlauts work perfectly in the terminal, vi, and other apps, only Emacs interprets them as 'v', 'd', '|', and so on.

I checked the FAQs on the internet, to no avail. Several different ways to edit the .emacs file did not work, including 'set-language-environment', 'set-terminal-coding-system' and 'standard-display-european'. Now I am out of ideas.

The following variables are set:
LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE=de_DE
LC_ALL=de_DE
The stty parameters include -istrip and cs8.

Thanks for answers.
Tobias