Can't build Emacs 21.3 on AIX 5.1

From: gwinn
Subject: Can't build Emacs 21.3 on AIX 5.1
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 15:54:42 +0100

I am trying to build Emacs 21.3 on AIX 5.1 and it fails fairly early on in the make with errors relating to header files. I noticed in the output from configure that it correctly identifies the platform as powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0 but a few lines further on I see

checking for AIX... no

This is odd, so I looked in the configure script and it prints that line when it finds that confdefs.h is missing. In fact my system does not have that header file (so configure is partly right). This makes me wonder if the O/S isn't installed completely or correctly or that something isn't right with header files. Has anyone seen this before? What is the confdefs test trying to do?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Geoff.