Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Using the `Win' key as `Ctrl' in Emacs?
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:44:26 +0200

Xiaoyong Jin <tootiny@163.com> writes:

> What I want is using the useless `win' key on the right.  Could
> some one tell me how to do this?
>
> I now use the xmodmap program to turn the Super_R key to the
> control group.  And it can be use under most programs under X but
> Emacs.

You need to make the right 'flag' key into a control key, like so:

clear control
clear mod4
keycode 4711 = Control_R
add control = Control_L Control_R
add mod4 = Foo Bar

First, you say "xmodmap -pm" to see which modifiers Super_R appears
in.  Above, I'm assuming it's mod4.  If Super_R is not mentioned in
any modifier, then just omit the two lines mentioning mod4.

Secondly, you need to find out the keycode of the right 'flag' key,
perhaps by running xev.  Above, I'm assuming the code is 4711.

That's what I use and it works well.

Kai