Making a nice .emacs file and configuration

From: Alexandre Russel
Subject: Making a nice .emacs file and configuration
Date: 21 Sep 2004 23:30:08 +0900

Hi all,
I have been using Emacs for a while now and my .emacs file start
getting to big. I am trying to find a set up so even in few years
with lots more things in it it would stay clean. Would like advice
from Emacs veteran on how to set up all that. What I am thinking
about doing is:

---.emacs--start--
(setq load-path
  (cons "~/Emacs/Configurations"
    (cons "~/Emacs/Extensions"
      (cons "~/Emacs/DotEmacs" load-path))))
(setq Info-default-directory-list (cons "~/Emacs/Info"
Info-default-directory-list))
---.emacs--end----

Then have a Emacs directory with 4 directories inside:

Info: with all the Info from the package I added
DotEmacs: with the information found usually in .emacs such as
binding,configuration, macro, myfunction(probably with 1 file per thing)
Extensions: All the package I download(template, w3m-emacs...)
Configurations: All the configuration file for the extensions

What do you think of it and what should I change so even in few
years I wouldn't have to redo everything again.
Cheers,
Alex