Re: Many info nodes missing with 'M-x info'

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Many info nodes missing with 'M-x info'
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 21:32:49 +0200

> From: "Tassilo Horn" <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de>
> Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 20:00:41 +0200
>
> ,----
> | (%:~)- echo $INFOPATH
> | /usr/share/info:/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4/info
> `----
>
> One interesting thing is that the files of the five nodes I get with
> `M-x info' are the ones in the second/last directory of INFOPATH. But
> the 262 info pages in /usr/share/info/ are ignored.

Do you have a file named `dir' or `DIR' or `dir.gz' or some such in
the /usr/share/info/ directory?  If not, you should run the program
called install-info on the Info files in /usr/share/info/, which will
create that `dir' file.

> ,----[ C-h v Info-directory-list RET ]
> | Info-directory-list's value is
> | ("/usr/share/info" "/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4/info")
> `----
>
> So it got initialized with the value of INFOPATH.

The value of Info-directory-list is okay, but Emacs needs to see a
file named `dir' in each one of these directories.  The top-level menu
of Info manuals you see when you type "M-x info" is a concatenation of
all the `dir' files in the directories that are members of
Info-directory-list.