Re: sharing files?

From: kgold
Subject: Re: sharing files?
Date: 15 Nov 2004 23:11:32 GMT

Mike <mikee@mikee.ath.cx> writes:
> I'm really not sure how to word what I'm think of. I'm searching for
> some way to share files among team members using emacs. Sort of like
> a wiki, but maybe more something that is a buffer that has a process
> that looks once a minute or so to see if the file mtime has been
> modified, then reloads the buffer. Something where we can all see
> what's going on... maybe a running list of tasks, or a white-board,
> or an in/out board, ...?

My 2 cents:

make-frame-on-display is a real-time, multiple person edit.
You need an X server on all the machines.

It is also only for people who REALLY trust each other.  Once you give
someone an emacs frame on their display, you also give them a shell.
They can do anything you can do.  They are logged in as you.

auto-revert-mode is almost real time.  You can set it to revert every
second if you like.  It slows a bit with NFS mounting.  But, people
won't see your edits instantly as you do them.  And it's best for one
writer at a time.  Last write wins.