Re: aspell and emacs, SOLVED

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: aspell and emacs, SOLVED
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:08:49 +0000

Ok, I now I understand what was wrong. I had a broken aspell
installation which worked for certain options (for example --lang el)
but not with the option that ispell.el sends.  The error messages were
from aspell itself.  The replies by ehud and Eli Zaretskii made me
look further and unearth the misconfiguration. Now aspell is working
fine with or without emacs.

Thanks for your help.

For future reference here are the details.
Similarly to ehud I evaluate

(setq ispell-program-name "aspell")
    (add-to-list 'ispell-dictionary-alist
                 '("el"
                   "[a-zA-Z``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'']"

                   "[^a-zA-Z``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'']"
                   "['\"]" t ("latin/greek") nil iso-8859-7))

    (setq ispell-dictionary "el")
    (ispell-change-dictionary "el")
    (set-default 'ispell-local-dictionary "el")

where ``A_long_list_of_octal_characters'' is a list of all characters
used by modern greek. I generated the list by evaluating

(insert
      (mapconcat (lambda (c) (format "\\%o" (multibyte-char-to-unibyte
      c)))
                 "List_of_greek_characters"))

where I typed the "List_of_greek_characters" using the input-method
"greek" from Mule. (I found this in Emacs Wiki).

If anybody wants to have the list of octals itself I can provide it.

--
Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
    -- Neon Absentius