Reading HTML mails with gnus

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Reading HTML mails with gnus
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 22:28:41 +0100

In order to read with Gnus that kind of mails
such as Internet adverts (is that HTML mails?),
I was suggested to install w3m-el (an interface of w3m).
After some difficulties I managed to get the installation up to end,
but still can't read HTML mails via gnus.
What am I missing?
Here are the steps I followed:

from http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/
I downloaded the package gc.tar.gz
and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
# urpmi gcc
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf gc.tar.gz
$ cd gc6.3
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make check
# make install

. I downloaded the package openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz
and copied into my ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf openssl-0.9.7e.tar.gz
$ cd openssl-0.9.7e
$ ./config
$ make
$ make test
# make install

. From http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/w3m/
I downloaded the package w3m-0.5.1.tar.gz
and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ export LDFLAGS="-Xlinker -R/usr/local/lib"
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf w3m-0.5.1.tar.gz
$ cd w3m-0.5.1
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

. From http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org I downloaded the package
emacs-w3m-1.4.3.tar.gz and copied it into the ~/tmp dir. Then,
$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xzvf emacs-w3m-1.4.3.tar.gz
$ cd emacs-w3m-1.4.3
$ ./configure
$ make
# make install

. I was suggested to put in my .gnus.el the line:
(setq mm-inline-text-html-renderer 'w3m)
, which I did. Besides, in the README file
which is in the emacs-w3m release it is suggested
to put in .emacs the line:
(require 'w3m-load)
. I did so, but when starting Emacs I got the following error message:

An error has occurred while loading `/home/rodolfo/.emacs':

File error: "Cannot open load file", "w3m-load"

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
backtrace

. Then I canceled that line from .emacs,
but the HTML mails I get via gnus still cannot be viewed.
Can anyone from this list provide help?

Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo