Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more newbie friendly
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:47:53 +0000

Brian Elmegaard <brian@rk-speed-rugby.dk> writes:

> Many (most?) compilers come with an editor which people probably try
> first. Latex people probably have started out on a word processor
> in itself being an editor.
>
> None of the applications I have seen of this kind have the same
> notion of windows, frames and buffers as emacs has.

Why would people try such an editor, then decide to try Emacs instead?
Usually it is because they are dissatisfied with the editor that comes
with their IDE. One big advantage for me of Emacs over IDE editors is
the way it lays out its windows. It is very useful when programming to
have two windows side by side, or above and below each other. The only
way to do this in an IDE editor is to manually resize all your windows
to fit (then you still have too much space wasted for extra title and
status bars) or to set it to tiled (and have all windows that you have
open tiled).