Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Is Emacs becoming Word?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:58:08 -0600

I don't think that it tells you to do

 (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration '((tex-mode . 2) (latex-mode . 2) (t . t)))

in order to have latex buffers look "normal", so I think that's one.

The stuff about "undo" is in there, but seem to explain how to make
the messages go away (and have undo information always discarded
automatically, which is the best thing I can think of to do with it).

These are perhaps the two most noticable changes to Emacs I've seen
over recent months.

At any rate, looking through the news file is kind of like looking for
a needle in a haystack.  It would be much nicer to have contextual
help on new commands.  Eg. the first time \pi turns into a greek
symbol, or the first time that you get some message about undo
buffers, something pops up -- maybe a talking paperclip, who knows, or
a freakin' thumb-tack if the paperclip is off-limits! -- and tells you
what's going on.