Re: emacs and osx

From: Bob Hunter
Subject: Re: emacs and osx
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:44:51 GMT

Jochem Huhmann wrote:

In principle, one should be able to download the latest from gnu and
compile autonomously under osx, with no need to download old
out-of-sync binaries.

Exactly. Get the latest Emacs from the CVS, configure, make, install,
enjoy. It just works. This posting is written with a Emacs running on
Mac OS X, along with Carbon-GUI, anti-aliased fonts and everything,
compiled straight from the sources.

This is good news! I never compiled the cvs version of emacs, and I was indeed waiting for the next release, but I will give it a try here and now.

Ever installed a LaTeX system on OS X? I've been going through this
> just yesterday and I can tell you, this is a hell of a mess.

I installed teTeX 3.0 under 10.2.8, and it compiled smoothly. Just use "./configure --prefix=/usr/local/TeX" then make and make install, then drop Quark and InDesign in the Trash folder.

The average Linux- or
BSD-Distribution is lightyears ahead in terms of package management and
discipline among the porters. Apple made a terrible mistake by not
including a decent package management system along with a server
infrastructure right from the beginning, IMHO.

I agree. There is a great package manager for the system updates, but no package for other "downloadables". There is fink, but the packages are way too old, and some of them are useless (read mozilla for X11, or emacs itself that only runs on the terminal and takes 100M+ of space).

Anyway, emacs-cvs, you have my name on you...

Thanks Jochem!