Re: Mis-features of let

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Mis-features of let
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:41:04 +0200

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

>>From what you've said (and experiments point to you being correct), no
> one should ever use put, fset, setplist etc on any symbol whose origin
> might be let or let* since the resulting behavior would apparently be
> undefined (as evidenced by the example in my previous post).
>
> Hence, a bug waiting to happen.

but it only waits for those who don't understand the computation model,
in which case, it is the return to understanding from mis-understanding
that is waiting to happen.  whether or not that is a bug depends on your
reliance on the (mis-)understood model.

here, you need to look into and grok a bit more on what precisely is a
symbol, and not just how it (or what you think of it) behaves in a
certain *scratch* buffer.  experimentation can show you the color of the
plant, but only in the light of the day.  the way to avoid the incessant
debate between pure theoreticians and pure empiricists is to synthesize
their approaches.  (if you do not wish to avoid it, that's fine, too.)

thi