Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows

From: exits funnel
Subject: Problem with UNIX/DOS issue on Emacs for Windows
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 13:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm running the native Emacs for windows version
21.3.1 on a Win2000 machine.  I'm using it to edit two
different java source files.  One of the source files
looks fine in the buffer but the other, while
formatted correctly, displays '^M' olong with each
carriage return.  I also note that for this file
'(Unix)' appears all the way to the left of the
modeline.

It seems that Emacs thinks that this file is formatted
for unix.  When I look at the files in a hex-editor
they look the same to me - each line ending is marked
by a '0d0a' pair.  I also tried running 'unix2dos'
(under cygwin) on the offending file but to no avail.
So, what's going on?  On what does emacs base the
determination that the one file is a unix file while
hte other is not?  How can I fix it?  Thanks in
advance for any replies!

-exits

Yahoo! Mail