Re: searching for non ascii characters

From: rahed
Subject: Re: searching for non ascii characters
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:52:02 +0200

> Both use the right charset and encoding. If you close and open again
> that file and it has that '-*- coding: iso-8859-2; -*-' in its header,
> among the first six or nine lines, Emacs should switch to that coding
> -- except you have at the file's end a block of local or file
> variables that say something different. Or it has a fixation to a
> specific coding-system. Did you launch your Emacs after changing
> .emacs? Can you check the variable's state (C-h v on this variable in
> .emacs in newly launched Emacs)? If it's something different than set
> then you either have this statement not executed or it exists more
> than once and gets reset some time after this line ... What does your
> file's tail look like?
>From C-h v, my prefer-coding-system's value is iso-latin-2. My test file now
>has only two lines, the relevant header and non ascii chars.

> The last thing I think of is the use of fontsets instead of
> fonts. What is your status?
I'm not sure what status, but M-x list-fontsets renders
Fontset: -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-fontset-default
Fontset: -*-courier new-normal-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-standard

> Your file has at LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON's position the
> correct byte, 0xB9. So it is presumingly still correctly encoded. To
> see it in ISO/IEC 8859-2 you can revert-buffer-with-coding-system, C-x
> RET r CODING-SYSTEM. Use M-x list-coding-systems to see what your
> system has.

I think there is no revert-buffer-with-coding-system function with my emacs
(M-x apropos).
I can only revert-buffer (no coding system change). I use 21.3 on WXP.

Radek