Re: New balance-windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: New balance-windows
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:47:05 +0200

Ehud Karni wrote:

I think Pascal is right. Though I think Ehud has made a very nice try I
believe the split tree must be used. There is not enough information to
solve the problem otherwise.

I think that balancing the windows should be done based on geometry
ONLY. What do I care how this geometry was reached ?

The split tree may cause technical difficulties to the redisplay
engine, but it should be solved there.
You are right, I am overstating the split tree. Any way it is not available now from elisp code.

However I think the problem ought to be solved as if we are looking at a tree that could be thought of as a split tree. That tree can be constructed from the geometry only - except for certain cases where you need to know the actual split tree, but in this cases you can try and test. (The cases where the windows meat like a + sign, maybe there are more but I can't see any other at the moment.) In this constructed tree a node can have any number of childs.

Solving it that way should lead to symmetrical solutions I believe.