Re: Using X (instead of a terminal) in Emacs compiled from CVS

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: Re: Using X (instead of a terminal) in Emacs compiled from CVS
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:40:11 -0400

Well, configure options aside, one problem was that I didn't have xlib-dev installed on the system. Once I got that everything worked (with the default options for configure, as you suggested).

Thanks.

Sean Sieger wrote:

Jay Cotton <jay@fleeingrabbit.com> writes:

I am trying to set up the latest Emacs on Ubuntu (to replace the slighter older version I got with apt-get). I configured --with-x and compiled/installed without any issues, but when I execute the new Emacs, it runs in the terminal instead of an X window. The older Emacs will run happily with or without X. Any Ubuntu/Debian users out there know what could be different with the one that I compiled?

Jay, I compiled CVS Emacs on Ubuntu GNU/Linux with no options,
I may be wrong, but that option is to configure Emacs to compile
with no X, '--with-x=no', instead of the default in which the
configure script looks for X.