Re: using Xresources for geometry

From: Baloff
Subject: Re: using Xresources for geometry
Date: 01 Sep 2005 23:48:47 +1000

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> Baloff <washdc@wash.edu> writes:
>
> > Hello
> > in my Xresources I have
> >
> > emacs*Background: Black
> > emacs*Foreground: White
> > emacs*pointerColor: White
> > emacs*cursorColor: White
> > emacs*bitmapIcon: on
> > emacs*font: fixed
> > emacs*geometry: 160x80
> >
> > the last line I changed from 80x40 but no changes happened when I
> > restarted emacs.
> >
> > isn't suppose to work?
> > nothing in my .emacs which has to do with (setq initial-frame-alist
>
> What window manager are you using? some window managers will
> "remember" the last size you had emacs set to and will restore that
> and override any geometry setting. In particular, I've been bitten by
> this in the past with (I think) gnome+sawfish and KDE.
>
> Tim
>

> --
> Tim Cross
> The e-mail address on this message is FALSE (obviously!). My real e-mail is
> to a company in Australia called rapttech and my login is tcross - if you
> really need to send mail, you should be able to work it out!

gnome 2.6.1

I read this in the documentation C-h v initial-frame-alist
* Specify X resources to give the geometry you want.
* Set `default-frame-alist' to override these options so that they
  don't affect subsequent frames.
* Set `initial-frame-alist' in a way that matches the X resources,
  to override what you put in `default-frame-alist'.

well, I have the following

emacs*height: 70
emacs*width: 180
emacs*top: 1
emacs*left: 1

the last lines in my .emacs are
;;these lines should be at the end of this file
(setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 1)(left . 1)
 (width . 180)(height . 70)))
(setq default-frame-alist '((width . 180)(height . 70)))