Re: Using autofill./

From: Neon Absentius
Subject: Re: Using autofill./
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 14:26:10 +0000

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 04:45:44PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:
> >On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 08:32:51PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> >> you can set the fill-column to its new value (i.e. 40) and
> >> refill the paragraph by hitting M-q just once:
> >>
> >>     * This is a test message. This is a test
> >>       message. This is a test message.This is a
> >>       test message. This is a test message. This
> >>       is a test message. This is a test
> >>       message. This is a test message.  ^^^^^^^^
> >>       ^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Before you start giving advice on filling don't you think that you
> > should first fix yours?  You might want to have a look at the
> > variable "sentence-end-double-space" for example.
>
> In what ways does my personal preference for the current setting of
> sentence-end-double-space affect the correctness or the usefulness of
> the advice about filling?

In no way.  Your advice was *irrelevant* to what the OP asked.  I
would also say that to the degree that your answer did not really
solve the problem it was also wrong.  And of course, the value of the
variable "sentence-end-double-space" doesn't affect the validity of
any of those statements.  What it does affect however is the filling
behaviour of emacs.  Obviously the paragraph I quoted is not filled
correctly.  As I tried to indicate -- perhaps overestimating your
power of observation -- the underlined word ("message") in the last
line actually fits in the previous line without exceeding the value
of fill-column.

At a meta-level, I do think that the fact that the filling behaviour
of your copy of emacs is *obviously* not optimal, gives an indication
of the usefulnes of your advice on the filling behaviour of emacs.
Don't you?

> Keep the irony to yourself the next time, thanks...

No, thank you.  I'd rather share.

--
Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the
people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so