Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Print to PDF? Configure fonts used when printing?
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 23:11:04 +0100

Hi Peter,

 Not exactly an (X)Emacs package, but Perl:

In the end, I think, it would be most useful to write an own script: you could use Unicode encoded fonts from Mac OS X (or additions to these sets) and be able to print in every script!

The problem with a2pdf as I see it is that I won't get syntax highlighting from Emacs. I mean, there's really no point in offering a print function if it doesn't relate to what's shown on the screen, because otherwise one could just fire up Textedit or whatever and copy&paste the buffer over.

I mean, printing would have to respect the faces chosen. I don't understand why it should be impossible to generate PDF instead of PS, using the same methods that the current printing system uses. It seems to me there's a real lack of a package.

I suspect I'm just going to have to see if I can coerce the output system to print instead of showing things on the screen. ATSUI ( being made available these days ) might help here, but I suspect it won't be a peace of cake due to the way letters are output. Unfortunately, lacking inside knowledge about how Emacs outputs stuff on the screen, I'm not really qualified to implement printing support.

Cheers
David