Re: Accelerating Emacs?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Accelerating Emacs?
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:16:35 +0200

> From: "Herbert Euler" <herberteuler@hotmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 19:38:26 +0800
>
> >Primitive operations that are used a lot and need to be fast are
> >written in C, not in Lisp.
>
> But at least the searching, syntax highlighting, tags processing,
> and some other modules are written in Lisp

They are written in Lisp, but they make heavy use of search and syntax
primitives that are written in C.

> >FWIW, on a reasonably fast machine, I find Emacs reasonably fast for
> >day-to-day operation.
>
> I believe this is true. But hey, lots of algorithms that are very effective
> in general cases have to face some really bad situation, just like I
> mentioned here.

Sure, but making decisions about the tools you use based on such rare
bad situations is not a very wise thing to do, is it?

> Is it possible to improve the behaviour of Emacs in such situations?

It might be.  Feel free to report such cases as bugs, and the
developers will see if there's something that should be done.