Re: printing from w32 emacs

From: rgb
Subject: Re: printing from w32 emacs
Date: 9 Nov 2005 21:21:13 -0800

B. T. Raven wrote:
> Has any of you out there been able to print from emacs to your local
> printer? My installation is acting as if I am printing to NULL. This is
> from an emacs 21.3 on win98 to a Canon i850. Neither PRN (default) or
> LPT1 works as 'printer-name, quoted or not. Printer works fine if I
> minimize emacs and run any other windows app incorporating a print
> function. I had same results with an HP laserjet.
> I would appreciate any light any of you could throw on this problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

I've still got a Windows 98 machine sitting around so I tried what I've
got on my XP machines and it seems to work fine on '98.

>From [start][settings][printers], right click on the printer you want
print to and pick {properties}.  Go to the {sharing} tab.  Check the
{share as} button and fill in a Share Name like   Cannon  .

If you don't know your computer's network name, get it from the
{identification} tab in the [start][settings][Control panel][network]
dialog.  If you don't have one, set one .. like My-PC or whatever.

Now in your .emacs add this:

(setq printer-name "\\\\My-PC\\Cannon")
(setq ps-printer-name "\\\\My-PC\\Cannon")

Simply using M-x print-buffer <ret> should print the current buffer
and ps-print-buffer should work as well.