RE: icicles lisp-mode dabbrev-completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: icicles lisp-mode dabbrev-completion
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:59:03 -0800

    > This question concerns library icicles.el, which is not part
    > of GNU Emacs. Since this mailing list is for vanilla GNU Emacs, not
    > external libraries, I'll reply off list.

    Huh?  gnu.emacs.help is about any use of Emacs, not just
    plain-vanilla-Emacs-with-no-extra-nothing.  Please reply here.

My point above was simply to not waste mailing-list bandwidth discussing
particularities of an external library that others might not use or be
familiar with. That's all I meant.

Do people want to see here discussions and debug sessions of possible bugs
in individual external libraries? I doubt it. If we went down that road, I'm
sure people would soon be posting complaints that this was not a mailing
list  for library Foobar or whatever.

If the result of such an off-list discussion turns out to be relevant to
others who might also use the library in question, then it can be reported
(summarized) here after investigating off list. Or, if there is a related,
general Emacs question or problem, that can be discussed here.

In this case, the OP and I corresponded briefly off list, sorted out some of
the confusion, and determined that the question/problem does not in fact
concern Icicles. The OP might still have a question or some general info to
post here. If so, that can now be espressed more clearly, in a more focused
manner. I can assure you that nothing was lost to the list by taking the
initial investigation off list.

Reminder: When posting a question/problem, it helps to state:

1. The version of Emacs you're using.

2. The versions of any relevant external libraries you're using.

3. The exact steps needed to reproduce the problem, if known, starting with
a virgin Emacs session (e.g. emacs -q).