Re: How to mark a rectangle

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: How to mark a rectangle
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:22:15 +0200

"billy" <bp1497@att.com> writes:

> I have searched this news groups and searched the manual pages.  I can
> find nothing, probebly overlooking, as to how to mark a rectangle.  I
> find plenty of stuff to deal with it, but not how to get it.

I suppose you mean "mark a visible rectangle", so you can actually
see the rectangle on the screen.

CUA-mode can do that.

Option 1:
Get CUA-mode from the link below.
Install and enable it.
Then use S-return to mark a (visible) rectangle.

Option 2:
Get the "soon-to-be-released" emacs 22.x from savannah.gnu.org.
It has cua-mode (a successor to CUA-mode) built in.
Enable cua-mode (from the Options menu).
Then use C-return to mark rectangles.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk