Re: repeat-on-final-keystroke

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: repeat-on-final-keystroke
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:37:27 GMT

"Enzo Vitale" <enzo.vitale@epfl.ch> wrote in message
news:mailman.732.1145653193.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> Dear Emacs experts,
>
> I have rebound the 'bs-cycle-next' command to 'C-x b' and I would very
> much like it to behave as 'repeat' in the sense that continuing to
> press
> simply the last character of the key-binding ('b' in this case) had
> the effect of scrolling one by one the list of active buffers.
>
> Currently, I have to retype 'C-x b' each time, very annoying when
> editing tens of different buffers, which is typical for me during code
> development.
>
> By the way, the same would also be very useful with the 'undo' command
> (C-x u), and probably many more...
>
> Is this possible ?
>
> Thank you,
> Enzo

For that many buffers it seems like iswitchb would work better if you
could use a naming convention that made the names differ more at the
beginning of the string than at the end. This might not be convenient
unless you could get used to reading the buffer names backwards  a l'arabe
(i.e. "h.sfed" for "defs.h" by performing reverse-string of file name to
get buffer name).  You can also filter out *Help, *Info, and other
read-only buffers with iswitch.

If you can set up a super key modifier, you could cycle through the
buffers by adding

(global-set-key [(super b)] 'bury-buffer)

to your .emacs, but this has the undesirable side effect of removing the
names from the menu bar buffer list. It does however require only one
keypress per buffer switch if you don't count holding down the super key
continously as a keypress.

Ed.