Re: configuring emacs as a programmer's editor

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: configuring emacs as a programmer's editor
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 22:46:27 -0500

"Ted" <r.ted.byers@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:1151684092.236583.270470@b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Le Wang wrote:
> > Ted wrote:
> > `mode-compile' is missing.  You then do a web search and find that
it's
> > available here:  "http://www.tls.cena.fr/~boubaker/Emacs/";.  You
follow

> Thanks all.  I found, with a little experimenting, that I didn't need
> much of what I thought I needed.
>
> I am using version 21.3 of emacs, if that matters.
>
> I didn't find mode-compile.el on my system, and so I downloaded it from
> the site you cite above.  I tried to byte compile within emacs, as
> instructed, but no mode-compile.elc is made.  The output I get is:
>
> Compiling file c:/emacs-21.3/mode-compile.el at Fri Jun 30 11:54:37
> 2006
>   !! End of file during parsing
>
> This looks like an error message, but it doesn't make sense given that
> the last line in the file is:
>
> ;;; mode-compile.el ends here
>
> This tells me that the file I'm working with has not been truncated.
>
> Why does byte-compiling this file fail?  Is the file on the above site
> defective?  Is the file available elsewhere?
>
> Ted

I removed 21 ^L's from the source and the byte-compilation went to
completion with the following warnings:

Compiling file d:/EMACS/emacs-21.3/site-lisp/mc.el at Sat Jul 01 22:39:21
2006
  ** reference to free variable efs-remote-shell-file-name
  ** `(fboundp (quote eval-when-compile))' called for effect
  ** `(fboundp (quote eval-when-compile))' called for effect
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined: console-type,
    device-type, mc--compile-sav, mc--frame-live-p, mc--select-frame,
    mc--make-frame, mc--make-frame-visible, mc--raise-frame,
    byte-compile-buffer, locate-file, mc--member, efs-ftp-path,
    mc--run-hooks

The front matter of the .el looks like this:

;;   Last modified: 2003/04/01 13:52:47
;;   Version: 2.28
;;   Keywords: compile, compilation, modes, languages
;;   Tested for:
;;     XEmacs (Lucid GNU Emacs) >= 19.10
;;     Must work with FSF GNU Emacs > 19.31 ;-)

Maybe the smiley face has a tongue in cheek.

Ed.