Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: dissociated-press help: M-x not recognized
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:40:45 +0200

Am 12.07.2006 um 00:38 schrieb Tsu Dho Nimh:

Why do you write of "shell commands?"

Because that's what the GUI calls them.

A shell command is a programme that runs in its own little shell outside of GNU Emacs. Emacs then opens a buffer, *Shell Command Output*, that contains the output from the "shell command." In MS Windows command.com or such would be launched to run inside xcopy or ipconfig or whatever there exists as "shell commands."

Dissociated-press is kind of a "built-in" programme in GNU Emacs. It's written in Lisp and needs Emacs as interpreter. To start these built-in programmes you invoke them with M-x, which means that you either press the "Meta" key and the x key at the same time or you press Esc and then x. Then the mini-buffer shows a prompt and you can give it a built-in programme's name ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

"We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised."