Re: Ascii character typeing

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Ascii character typeing
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 08:45:46 -0500

"Kevin Rodgers" <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.4342.1153642971.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> B. T. Raven wrote:
> > Or if you don't have the loop and do functions, this kludge will work:
> >
> > (defun ascii ()
> >   (interactive)
> >   (setq i 0)
> >   (while (<= i 255)
> >         (when (zerop (mod i 8)) (insert "\n"))
> >         (insert (format " %3d %c  " i i))
> >         (setq i (1+ i))
> >   )
> > ) ;; maybe let i would work here instead of setq i.
> >
> > For some reason it doesn't produce a glyph for chars 128-159, only the
> > octal code \nnn. This is really out of the ascii range but so is 160
> > 255, for which I see the glyphs.
>
> I doubt your buffer uses the us-ascii coding system.  `C-h v
> buffer-file-coding-system' to see what it does use.

Right you are. This varialbe shows "utf-8." And, as Pascal notes,
everything above char 127 is out of ASCII range. If I remember right, back
in the early '80's on the IBM PC this was called extended ascii, which
included some Western European vowels with diacritics and box drawing
characters.

> What you see displayed also depends on whether the font includes a glyph
> at each code point.

I usally use arialuni.ttf which has fairly good coverage of the Basic
Multi-lingual Plane (used with 21.3 w32 build).

Ed