emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside em

From: std
Subject: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
Date: 3 Aug 2006 02:26:38 -0700

Hi all,

I am using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2005-06-26 on
NONIQPC on a winXP machine.

I am having a hard time setting the coding system to get cut&paste from
emacs to other apps (e.g. firefox) to work.

To be a bit more specific:
1/ I start with the minimal .emacs file below containing nothing but:
(standard-display-european t)
(set-language-environment 'latin-1)
(setq selection-coding-system 'latin-1)

2/ I copy the following from firefox to the clipboard
é è à ù û î ï ö ä

3/ I paste it in an emacs buffer (no problem)

4/ Now, I copy it from emacs to the clipboard and paste into firefox. I
get
⃩ ⃠豈 ⃻ ⃯ ä
(not good)

I've tried a number of other combinations for the
selection-coding-system and language-environment (utf-16le-dos,
compound-text-with-extensions, windows1255, etc...), but could not get
any to work properly. For some combinations,  copy/paste from one emacs
window to another does not work.

I've read a number of posts on the topic, and none solved this problem.

Any idea/hint?

Thanks

St.