Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outsid

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacs 22 on win XP, selection-coding-system, and copy & paste outside emacs
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:26:14 +0200

Am 03.08.2006 um 12:18 schrieb std:

By the way, is latin-9 a smart choice? (compared to latin-1, or other
utf-8 or -16...). I have no idea on these things.

Depends – I use ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15 in LaTeX, because then I can see € (ISO Latin-1 does not have the Euro currency), my usual environment is UTF-8 based. GNU Emacs 22.0.50 still is not perfect in UTF-8 use (a month name like Mär in dired is displayed as 'Mär', file names appear as 'RGB aÌ\210oÌ\210uÌ\210æÃ\206UÌ\210OÌ \210AÌ210.txt' or 'Perl_und_BuÌ\210cher'), the Unicode Emacs 23.0.0 performs better, so I'd recommend so stay with some 8 bit encoding like ISO Latin-9/ISO 8859-15. And use UTF-8 or UTF-16 for data exchange with MS Windows XP applications. Both encodings are "representations" of a file's contents. UTF-8 uses 8 bit words to code this contents, usually using three or two of these words for each character, only in case of ASCII or ISO Latin-1 use one such word suffices. UTF-16 uses 16 bit words – so it can address the first 64 K characters in Unicode uniformly, although it makes a difference in which sequence/direction the two octets of bits are read, BE or LE. Behind the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP), UTF-8 and UTF-16 need to use 32 bits to address the Unicode characters – just as UTF-32 uses from the start. But of course each of these three systems uses its own codes in this range(s)/plane(s) ...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Bake Pizza not war!